Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Monday, September 05, 2005

Group II - Uninspiring, unsurprising, but overall, a good outcome


Another week, another group, and we're halfway through the Top 12. As a whole, Sunday's line up was much stronger than Group 1, and the choices weren't easy to make.

Here are my thoughts on the contestants:

Of the group, I felt that Bernice was by far the weakest. Her voice was too thin, a little too breathless, and was overwhelmed by the band. The judges took her to task in her first song, but they all felt she had really made a comeback with Ashlee Simpson's "Pieces of Me". I have to disagree though, and thought that if anyone was sitting on the fence with her first act, she shoved them over to the wrong side with the second. Of course, it doesn't help that the song isn't a particularly inspiring one to begin with, and for that we can only blame the judges, who picked it for her. But she really failed to shine, and I'd be willing to bet that she was the contestant with the least votes.

Karabo did well, but she too failed to really move me. I was wondering if she'd make the Top 3 as a viewer's favorite; during the Top 70 group auditions, Dave nailed it when he said she rocked. She smoked the room! And I think if she had picked something similar, something very up-tempo and poppy, she'd have done much better. Unfortunately both her choice and the judge's song choice left a lot to be desired, and didn't give her nearly enough to play with. If she had sung something that gave her the chance to really strut her stuff, I have a feeling she'd have gone on to the Top 12.

Jamie-Lee was one of my votes for the night, and I was disappointed and a little surprised that she didn't get through to at least the Top 3. I really saw the line up as being Jamie-Lee, Jessica and Karin. Well, two out of 3 isn't too bad, I suppose. She smoked her rendition of "Ain't No Sunshine", lending it just the right amount of soul and spunk. She definitely does have something about her, and comes across as endearingly whacky, and I'm hoping that even though the Idols highway has come to an abrupt end for her, that the exposure and the positive comments from the judges will help her start out on a successful career in music.

And now, the Top 3:

I said I saw Jessica as being the Top 3, but she was really my number 4. I figured that her ability to deliver the "Total Package", as they say, would land her in the Top 3, but I was a little reserved on her. I'm not sure why, I think she exudes an overconfidence and cockiness that just puts me off. However, in the interest of fairness, she does have a great voice, and her position in the Top 3 was well-deserved. But maybe I'm not the only one put off by her personality. Side by side, I'd have to say she's stronger than Martelize vocally, and I think if she'd displayed just a smidgeon more sweetness she might have edged Martelize out.

Martelize, who was my number 3 choice might forever be known as the "Idol with those blue eyes", especially after Randall's admiring comments. The cameraman seemed to make a point of zooming in as tight as he could during the Results show, focusing on those baby blues. And she has a great stage presence - not too arrogant, but not at all shy or timid. She definitely has singing talent, but I don't think she's going to go much farther in this competition. Her voice just isn't remarkable enough in my book, and I can't see listening to an entire of CD of her. She might have one or two hits under her belt, but I don't think she's got much more than that.

And finally, Karin. If everyone voted emotionally, I think Karin would be a shoo-in. She's got the public opinion working in her favor, and her status as an unlikely Idol just makes it that much easier to be sympathetic towards her. The girl has got a voice that is just out of this world, and her confidence has clearly grown by leaps and bounds in the weeks since her Capetown auditions, and even since the Top 70 auditions. Her stage performance has vastly improved. However, as much as I like her, and as certain as I am that she will have a very strong music career from here on out, I don't think she's a Pop Idol. If she goes no further, though, she has absolutely nothing to regret; she's proven her talent beyond the shadow of a doubt, and she will definitely go far, no matter what happens. And I will definitely be buying her CDs. Even though I don't think she should or can win this thing, she is by far the most talented of the bunch.

Overall, I felt that the song choices by both the contestants and the judges were way too subdued. There simply wasn't enough energy generated, no room to really vamp for the audience and nothing that really got me excited in any way. Hopefully the Group 3 guys will have better music working for them, and will let me rock out on my couch.

Moving on to other aspects of the show, I have to say that I think Colin's appeal is growing rather thin. The goofy, aw-shucks thing just doesn't appeal to me, his jokes are horrendously unfunny (not even bad in the "so bad you have to laugh" way), and he has absolutely no finesse or grace. This is my first year watching South African Idols, so I don't know if he's gotten worse (or, perish the thought, better) from previous years, but I really think it's time to get a new personality on the stage next year. Maybe that guy from the Capetown auditions that came in with a video camera and totally livened up the room. Anyone remember him? He had natural charisma, was absolutely hilarious, and I think it's a shame that he didn't just get shooed on to Johannesburg for comic relief.

And the live audience... man, did they get these people out of a funeral, or what? There is so little energy from that audience that it's just overwhelming. Sure, they cheer every now and then but there is absolutely no feeling of excitement or enthusiasm coming out of that room. I don't know if they need a professional audience-prepper or what, but man, people, get some energy!