Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Friday, September 23, 2005

In a Perfect World...

In the Idols forum, The Burg says that there is soon to be some "beefed up" content on Channel 37, to which I can only say: Finally! I was really looking forward to seeing some great behind the scenes info on what goes into Idols. Everyone, from crew to contestants, works so hard at giving us what we all tune in for every week, and it would be great to get a glimpse at what some of that work entails.

But this got me thinking. In a perfect world, what would I like to see added to Idols? Whether as special content on Channel 37, or added to the shows, it would really be great to get some insight into how being an Idol affects the lives of the contestants, and how their friends and families are dealing with a newly rising star in their midsts. Star Maker Story gives us great friend/family viewpoints, and it really adds a completely new dimension to the entire production, and reinforces the idea that these are people, and not props, on the stage. How great would be to have inset shot showing the reactions of the family in the audience as the results are announced each Monday? Or a quick chat with the contestant, standing amid proud family members, showing the support system that is standing behind them?

After the "human interest" level, I think some "Making Of" views would be fascinating material. From sitting with the stylist or working with Mali and Johan; to setting up the stage and lighting and doing sound checks - just getting an idea of how intricate an affair putting this show together would do wonders for generating interest and respect for this production. Yes, even I, who sometimes questions the quality of some of the things we see, have to admit that there is so much that goes into this show, and I have the utmost respect for the people who put it together. We might take it for granted sometimes, but the amount of coordination and design that goes into the smallest details - like setting up the website, or coordinating the press conferences after the show - is awe inspiring.

The best way to get people truly invested in a show is to make them feel like they're a part of it somehow, and connecting in some way with those involved, even if only by seeing them on Channel 37, is a great way to extend that connection. The website took a good step in that direction this afternoon when they posted the photos of the contestants getting "made over" in preparation for the next round. This is exactly what we want to see! We want to see how Idols turns the person next door into the next person on a CD cover. It's a fascinating process, and I'm doing all I can to help gain some insight into it, but I'd really love to see this done up on a bigger scale. To me, half the appeal of Idols is living vicariously through someone else going for their dreams, and imagining to myself that it could have been me (if I could sing, that is).

So hopefully Burg is on the money, and there will indeed be some beefed up content coming our way. In the meantime, I'll keep bringing back as much "behind the scenes" information as I can, to help fill whatever void might exist between what we want, and what we get.

I can't thank you guys enough for your continued support. Knowing that you are enjoying this blog, and find some of the information in it useful, makes it all worthwhile. I plan on sticking with it until the end. I hope you will, too!