Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Thursday, November 24, 2005

Talk Back: Song Selections, Final Predictions

Not only will it be a short list, it will be a sad one. After more than 3 months, 90 posts, and countless fond memories, here's the very last Song Selection column of the season. Apologies for the fact that pictures aren't up, the last couple of days were a bit hectic but I promise that (barring interference from Hellkom - my phone went out of service three times in the last week) I will put them up today.

Here are the song selections:

Gift
Gift’s Choice: ''Senorita'', Justin Timberlake
Judges’ Choice: ''End of The Road'', Boyz II Men
Winner’s Single: ''Sometimes A Dream'', Original

Karin
Karin’s Choice: ''Natural Woman'', Aretha Franklin
Judges’ Choice: ''If I Can’t Have You'', Yvonne Elliman
Winner’s Single: ''I’m So Ready'', Original

Since I obviously haven't heard the unreleased "Winner's Singles" yet, I can only speak to the other four songs:

Gift - I certainly won't complain about hearing "End of the Road" again, but I'm not too sure that I think Senorita was one of his strongest numbers. I'd have loved to have seen him pick "Love Is All Around" or "Gimme the Night" instead. However, he did do well with Senorita - and his CD version of the song is spectacular, so I'm sure I'll still be pleased with the result, especially if he can incorporate the audience into a more complete take on the "Call And Answer" verses at the end.

Karin - I'm just glad I didn't have to choose her best performances. Judging her on her own standards, they were all rather equally strong, but I do wish that her take on Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why" had made the list. However I'm generally pleased with both songs and the selection gives a nice little contrast between sheer vocal power (Natural Woman) and more up-tempo fun (If I Can't Have You).

All in all, it's going to be quite the showdown, and I'm honestly struggling with a prediction. Since the Top 12 began, Karin has looked like the safe bet for the ultimate winner, but if the last few weeks have taught me anything, it's that there ain't no such thing as a safe bet. I'll reiterate what I said in a previous post: I think Gift has a very good chance at inheriting all the loose votes, as well as at least 50% support from the judging panel. Whether left purely to the public, or with a little influence from the judges, I am seriously starting to believe that Gift will win, and prove himself to be more than just the dark horse of the competition, and ultimately end up being crowned South Africa's next Idol.

As always, though, I want to hear what you think. In one of the biggest Battles of the Sexes since Harry Met Sally, who will reign supreme?