Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Partying with the Idols

First off, apologies for not posting the pics as promised today. I've got the bulk of the work done, now it's just a matter of getting them uploaded. I promise, promise, promise, they will be up tomorrow. Things were a little hectic today, especially with the Back O' The Moon Party to prepare for.

As I mentioned, I didn't bring along my camera. However I did bring along a friend, who dubbed himself my photographer for the evening, and he took many great pictures. As soon as I get them from him, I will post them for you to see. Thanks, Jacques!

I have to say, I wish I had started going to these Back O' The Moon parties a long time ago - I had no idea they were so much fun. I'm not exactly a nightclub kind of person, so I wasn't sure how I'd fare against the loud music and big crowds, but I had an absolute blast. The place just throbs with atmosphere, and everyone is busy having such a great time that it's impossible not to enjoy it along with them. The evening's musical festivities started off with the Fab Four (the Idols, not the Beatles) singing their songs from last Sunday's Live Spectacular. As good as they may sound on Sundays, they sound absolutely phenomenal in a venue like Back O' The Moon. Free from the pressures of performing to stay in the game, they just enjoyed themselves as they gave stellar performances that had the crowd rocking.

Once the Idols had finished their rounds, Malaika took the stage, and gave a roaringly fabulous show. It's hard to decide which was more impressive - their musical talents or their skills on the dance floor. This is one bunch who knows how to move. Rhythmically challenged myself, even I couldn't resist the groove of the music and found myself moving to the music more than a few times. It was an excellent show, enjoyable in all aspects.

As Malaika cooked onstage, some of the Idols showed off their fancy footwork in the media area. Watching Gift pull off some seriously impressive dance moves, the only thing I could think was "Now, that is one hep cat." I was so caught up in the vibe, I even found myself sharing a goofy dance with The Burg (looking sharp in his white suit) between the ever-nimble V and Gift. But perhaps one of the best treats of the night was watching musical director Johan Laas turning out some fantastically fun steps of his own. If there's one thing the Idols gang seems to be serious about, it's having fun. Not to be left out, Nicky spent time dancing with the crowd and Karin proved that she has a repertoire of funky moves to match the rest of the gang.

Malaika played for a nice long time, then gave way to the DJs who offered up a nice selection of fun dance numbers - including the song everyone loves to hate - "Crazy Frog". Sensing my only opportunity to show off my "dance" skills, I did my best Crazy Frog impression, which was well-received by those who saw it. (Hysterical laughter means "well-received", right?) By this point in the evening, I was having too much fun to care and danced as wackily as I could manage, and had a blast doing so. Eventually the crowd began thinning down, and the Idols went home for the evening, leaving me and my camera-happy friend resigned to the fact that the fun was over, and it was time to make the longish trek back to Pretoria.

It was an absolute blast, and easily one of the best times I've had in a very long time. There's only one more party left; if you can make it, I can recommend it highly. The vibe is unbeatable - it's a guaranteed good time!