Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Sunday, October 30, 2005

Up, up and away

Yet another high point on the roller coaster track that is Idols, this week's Live Spectacular was a magnificent comeback from last week. (Last week? There wasn't a show last week, was there?)

I'm going to start this week's recap with someone who simply blew me away last night. Someone who has never blown me away before - someone who has never given me goosebumps, chills or teary eyes. Someone who gave me all three last night. Yes, V, I'm talking about you. I was not expecting it in the least, and it's no secret that week in and week out, I've complained about the fact that V has failed to connect to me on an emotional level, and kept me from ranking her as highly as others with weaker vocal talent. I've seen it called a "cheesy ploy" and a gimmick, but to me, it was her most heartfelt performance ever, and for the first time, I felt as if I'd gotten a glimpse into the real V. Absolutely stunning - and even Randall couldn't deny it. And I was nicely surprised by her somewhat casual response to it - his opinion wasn't a big deal when it was negative, and it's not such a big deal when it's positive either.

Another excellent performance for this year's Comeback Kid, Ayanda. I wasn't sure whether she'd be able to get the emotion across effectively enough, but she delivered it perfectly. A sober, subdued physical performance with a heartwrenchingly aching vocals was what was needed, and Ayanda did exactly that. She has come a long way in this competition, and I have a feeling she has plenty more surprises in store.

Karin pepped things up a bit with her Janet Jackson number, as if to further prove that she can do it all, and she did an excellent job doing so. Her opening gave me goosebumps, and she makes it look so effortless to sound so beautiful. And every week, she looks more and more stunning. When I think back to the bundle of nerves and tears who sang us "Never, Never, Never" in her first audition, and realize what she's become, it's staggering. She has come very far, and she is going to go even farther. And there is no denying it: the crowd just loves her.

Ah, Gift, my main man. A very good bounce back from last week's disappointing performance, Gift is definitely back in the game. Capitalizing on his strongest talents, this was an excellent song choice for him, and let him focus on delivering the charismatic, sexy stage performance that makes him so wonderful. Very well done.

And also in the "bounceback" arena was Deidre. As Mara said, she definitely looked the part, and came back from last week's disappointing showing to deliver something fun, funky and energetic. I am really pleased she got this second chance to prove herself, and think she did an amazing job to take that ball and run with it. I'm still concerned, though, and keeping my fingers crossed that last night's performance combined with her fanbase will bring her back from the brink of elimination. No matter what happens, though, she also has a promising career in front of her, and I'm certain that even if tonight proves to be the end of the road, we won't have heard the last from her.

Then there are the more disappointing performances from last night. None of them were bad - this week was definitely nothing to be ashamed of for anyone - but, as always, there have to be a few who don't quite match up to the rest. (Of course, every week, the "whos" and "whys" of this changes!)

Okay, so this week he wasn't reedy. But he felt distant and less than energetic. I'm not sure if it's nerves or overconfidence - either can be dangerous - but I'm starting to feel like he's slipping a bit. I still enjoyed his performance (though I could have done without the opening) and by no stretch of the imagination was it bad - it just wasn't one of tonight's best.

Martelize did a near-perfect vocal rendition of one of Shania Twain's biggest hits, but as Dave alluded to - it was almost too perfect. This was more of what had been a standard V performance - technically, spot on, but emotionally unconvincing. The biggest problem? I don't think she can pull off the sassy, arrogant tone - she's just comes across as so sweet and innocent that it doesn't quite work. She's also been treading a very narrow line, and I'm worried that tonight's failure to really wow might be her ticket out tonight. Again - it was not bad in the least, and I definitely enjoyed it, but she was overshadowed by some overwhelming competitions.

And finally, Nicky, who (at the risk of sounding like a broken record) also didn't do badly, but failed to pull off the song as well as I think she could have. I won't even try to predict her out of the show tonight - she always has a surprise or two up her sleeve, and she just may have a strong enough fanbase to keep her safe.

I can't even begin to guess who will go home tonight. If I had to predict, I see Martelize and Nicky on the chopping block, but there are so many factors at work now that I don't expect to be right. Either way, tonight's double-elimination will be a tough one, and if the past is any indication - probably a shocking one.

(More thoughts later, I'm a little pressed for time at the moment...)