Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Monday, November 28, 2005

All Good Things...

From the moment I wrote my first blog entry back in August, Idols has become a significant part of my life - especially after I started going to the shows. It all seems so long ago, and yet, it seems to have gone by so quickly. This blog has been, for the most part, strictly Idols-oriented, but I hope you'll forgive me as I reflect a little bit more personally.

First, though, a heartfelt congratulations to Karin. I'll be perfectly honest: I was secretly hoping Gift would win, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that there was one major reason: the drama. After months of it growing steadily more clear that Karin was going to win this thing, I found myself hoping for a surprise finale. However, Karin does indeed deserve the title, and she has worked long and hard at making her dream a reality. So long as she lives up to the Idols name, and doesn't fade back into relative obscurity, I have no complaints. Throughout the competition, she has grown stronger, more confident and more beautiful, but at the core, she has remained the same person she was when I first met her.

At last night's press conference, Gift was asked the perennial question: "What next?" Characteristically charming and witty, he asked whether anyone had any shades, because "the future is looking so bright." Indeed it is. It will take some dedication and hard work on his part, but if there's one thing Gift has proven in this competition, it's that he is no stranger to rising to the challenge. Even Randall, who continually predicted that the boys would get a sound beating from the girls, had to acknowledge Gift's perserverance and hard work.

One quick note before I get into the rest of this entry: What on Earth was the deal with Anke? From what I hear, she was sick, but wow, she was... astonishingly dismal last night. I wasn't here for the first two seasons of Idols, but I have to tell you, when I watched Anke perform, I couldn't help thinking "If she won, how bad was everyone else?" In a word: shocking. Heinz did a far sight better, but his little jumpy moves remind me of CrissCross, the kiddie duo from the 80s. (Please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers CrissCross!) However, the star quality was a lot more apparent in him, and it was easy to see how he won the very first SA Idols crown.

--

Music is one of my strongest passions. A day without music is a dark day for me, and if my mood ever begins to falter, the surest remedy is turning on some great tunes and losing myself in the rhythm. This love of music was what first made me look at Idols - I wanted to watch a star unfold before my eyes, and witness the birth of a fresh, new artist. The only thing more important to me than music is my writing. And so, when this season began, I saw the perfect opportunity to combine my two great loves together, and so the blog was born.

But even above those two things, the best part of this experience has been the people. Having only moved to SA in May, before Idols began I knew about 4 people in this country. Through Idols, I've met countless people, many of whom I really hope to remain friends with even now that it's all over. So many people have helped me, moved me, and inspired me that I will always have a very special place in my heart for this particular season of Idols. While I am grateful to absolutely everyone I've worked with throughout the season, here's a list of special thank yous:

Greg: For opening the doors to this amazing opportunity, and turning it from an idle (Idol?) hobby into the beginning of entirely new direction for my future.

The MNet PR Team: For never treating me like I was "just a blogger" and giving me the same respect and opportunities as all the regular members of the press.

The Vissers: For being exactly who you are, and giving me the chance to share your family's joys and sorrows throughout this experience, and treating me like a friend instead of just another member of the media.

The Lalouettes: For welcoming me with open arms, despite my often negative comments each week.

David: Nhlanhla's not the only one who will miss "5, 4, 3... YAAAAAAY!" each week. Jy's die beste!

The Burg: For inspiring me without meaning to, and for never pulling your punches, even when the whole world (including me) thought you should. (Love the mullet!)

The rest of the media: Because you're all great, and you all treated me like an equal.

The contestants: (No, Burg, I didn't steal this idea from you, I was going to do it anyway ;) )

Jamie Lee: Spunky, talented, and true to yourself, you're the perfect example of how it should be done. I think that tattoo will be more prophetic than you realize.

Bonolo: Your grace and confidence are inspiring, and your personality earned you a special place in my book.

Pume: My first ever one-on-one interview, your charm and eloquence made it easier than I could have imagined. As Randall said, sublime.

Kesha: I'm sure we'll be seeing much more of you in the future - you've definitely got that star quality!

Martelize: Talented, sweet and a heart the size of South Africa, I look forward to hearing more out of you (and to you making our shared last name famous!)

Deidre: You won my heart from the moment you auditioned, and no matter what, you'll always be a star to me. Thanks for everything!

Ayanda: That laugh, that smile, that amazing personality. You were a natural at presenting last night (despite those pesky mic problems) and I just know we'll be seeing (and hopefully hearing!) a lot out of you in the future.

Nhlanhla: You definitely have talent, and your stage presence is second to none. And an extra thank you for reminding me of how much fun it can be when you learn to stop worrying and love the journey.

Nicky: Of all the contestants, you turned out to be the biggest surprise of all. Week after week, you showed me exactly how talented you are, and went from one of my biggest doubts to one of my favorite contestants.

V: From criticizing the band (and your dad!) to panning much of what you did, you're probably the one contestant I was most critical of. For never letting that get in the way of our new friendship, and for actually turning one of my visions into reality on national television, and for your extraordinary grace in all circumstances, I thank you. I'll see you at that braai!

Gift: The most down-to-earth, hardworking and most likeable guy around, thanks for always taking an extra second to make sure to greet me, for always putting up with my incessant picture taking even when you were mid-chew, and for just being you. I'm telling you, I'm gonna make that thing we discussed happen! Just you wait and see.

Karin: Your journey has been nothing short of inspiring, but even in the face of growing adulation, you've remained remarkably true to yourself. Thanks for always having a smile for me, and acting as if we've known each other forever. But most of all, thanks for proving that no matter where you come from, no matter what the obstacles, and no matter what anyone says, dreams do come true. You've done your parents, your family, and most importantly, yourself, proud.

And finally, thanks to all of you. I've said it before, but I'll say it one last time: without you guys, this blog would be collecting dust. Your faithful support week after week, whether you've agreed with me or not, has meant the world to me. If it wasn't for you, none of this would be possible.

6,394 page loads.
3,500 visits.
Over 30 subscribers.

1 unforgettable experience.

I'll be updating the blog with Idols news - so make sure to stay subscribed (or if you haven't subscribed yet, what are you waiting for?), and tracking the contestants as they make their way into the industry. Now that Idols is over, the Binnelanders blog will get much-needed attention, and I'm also working on a general project to fill the space left by Idols. I'll announce new projects through here, so if you're subscribed, you'll find out about them as they happen. In the meantime, pictures will go up soon (thanks for your patience on this, I know I'm way behind on those). And I'd love to hear from you guys - thoughts on the season, the outcome, the future - whatever you want to share.

Thanks for everything!