Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Saturday, October 01, 2005

Ugliness on the forums...

Someone asked me once why I didn't just post the things I post here on the forums. The main answer? There is some serious ugliness going on amongst people there.

I confess, at first I just wanted to break away from a lot of the immaturity I saw there. Call me snobby, but I don't suffer the " u r 2 stoopid 2 kno wut u r talkin bout" type comments very lightly. SMS speak is tolerable over the phone, but when you're sitting in front of a full keyboard, I don't see a reason for it. So that was one of the first deterrents from posting on the forum.

Then there's the mudslinging. Yes, I've questioned Mara's partiality myself, but I've never believed that she is racist, only that she has certain favorites that she supports a little bit too wholeheartedly. I've tried to remain fair and partial in my criticisms, and have even pointed out that yes, she did indeed give Martelize high praise on a night where she had little praise for most of the contestants. I opened the floor for debate on the subject, and got viewpoints from both sides.

But the behavior in the forums is astonishing. There are people who I think are simply trolling for a reaction, and saying whatever they can to get a rise out of everyone else. But then there are some who are simply downright mean. It doesn't matter if it's Idols-related or not; if there's room to make a dig at someone, whether based on their looks, their past, or their viewpoints, some people will stop at nothing to use it in their attacks.

A sad example lies in statements I've been reading about Bonolo. From calling her a Sangoma, to ridiculing her appearance, facial expressions, and other immutable qualities about her, there are posters acting absolutely despicably. Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you can't express your opinion without resorting to ad hominem attacks against someone, rather keep your opinions to yourself.

Some might argue that the contestants shouldn't go on Idols (or be a judge on the show) if they can't handle the heat. I disagree fully. The purpose of the show is not to present the viewing public the chance to viciously attack those who take part. It's to give a star in the making a chance they otherwise not have gotten, and eventually, provide South Africa with an Idol we can be proud of.

Unfortunately, no matter how proud we may end up being of the eventual winner of this competition, I will always be horribly ashamed of the behavior of some of the people watching it.